Dozens of Saudi troopers and Saudi-sponsored militiamen have been killed when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched an offensive against their positions in the kingdom’s southern border region of Najran.
An unnamed Yemeni military source told Arabic-language al-Masirah television network that Yemeni soldiers and allied fighters launched a domestically-developed Zelzal-1 (Earthquake-1) missile at Tayyibah al-Esm military camp on Wednesday evening, leaving dozens of Saudi mercenaries killed and injured.
Separately, Yemeni forces and their allies have fatally shot 22 Saudi soldiers in the southwestern region of Jizan, located 967 kilometers southwest of the capital Riyadh, over the past two days. Yemeni army soldiers and Popular Committees fighters had earlier shot and killed eight Saudi troopers at the Alab border crossing of Asir region.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the government of former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi back to power and crushing Ansarullah. The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the Saudi-led war has claimed the lives of over 60,000 Yemenis since January 2016. The war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN says over 24 million Yemenis are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger.